Monday, October 10, 2016

30 Weeks Pregnant

Wait... wasn't I just 30 weeks pregnant with Asher? Maybe it's because 30 weeks was one of the milestones that we documented during my last pregnancy, but I clearly remember taking the photo on the left in our backyard in Florida like it was yesterday. It's funny for me to see the side by side comparison. I was carrying much higher with Asher than I am with the twins!



Despite all of the preparation we have been doing around the house, it remains hard to believe that we are getting so close to the arrival of the twins. Still no update on the car situation, which is a little stressful. I never thought I'd be so desperate to get a minivan!


Babies at 30 Weeks 

The babies are the size of cantaloupes, each at approximately 3.1 pounds and 17 inches long. No wonder my sense of balance is so out of whack. According to my apps, one of the babies may be getting ready to lower himself down into the birth canal. My doctor did a quick ultrasound at my appointment last week and this is definitely what we saw! Baby A's head is very low, and baby B is just above him, which is great news.

I continually get really stressed out about the fact that I seem to be feeling Baby A move much more often than I feel Baby B. My doctor has assured me that both babies have strong heartbeats and it is rather common for some women to feel more movement from one twin. Despite hearing this, I still think about it a lot and can't help but worry. Two babies = twice the worry already.




Weight Gain

I had gained another 4 pounds as of my last appointment, which puts me at 31 pounds gained as of 30 weeks. I try not to think about it too much, as my doctor is perfectly happy with my weight gain, but it's hard not to stress about the numbers I see on the scale. (Numbers, I should add, that are getting pretty close to what I was at when I gave birth to Asher.) I just keep reminding myself that breastfeeding two babies will help me lose the extra weight that isn't babies, fluid, or placentas. For those who aren't aware, breastfeeding twins burns on average an extra 1000 calories a day!


Eating

My appetite has been good this week and I'm not having as much trouble breathing after eating meals, which may mean that at least one of the babies has dropped into a lower position, taking the pressure off my stomach. (Judging by this week's photo, I'd say this is definitely true!) I'm not ravenously hungry but I've been eating three meals a day. I've been craving spicy foods, especially anything with sriracha, which is unfortunate because I end up with such bad heartburn all the time.


Feeling

I have been feeling so swollen these days. And no, I don't mean swole like my students used to say. What I mean is my feet look like they couldn't possibly fit into regular shoes anymore and my ankles are pretty much non-existent.

Oh and I'm exhausted, my back hurts, and I have terrible heartburn. Yep, I'd say that pretty much covers how I feel 24/7 right now. I'm sure this is all part of the territory when it comes to a twin pregnancy but I am so. over. it. Sorry babies.


Sleeping

Poor Asher has another ear infection so once again, this has been affecting my sleep as well. We got more antibiotics for him, so hopefully he will start feeling (and sleeping) better soon. I have also started having weird dreams about the babies, specifically dreams in which I've forgotten about one of them. I'm no professional dream interpreter but I'm sure it has to do with my anxiety about taking care of two babies at once.


Something to Be Happy About

We attended an event over the weekend for Babywearing International of CNY and got some tips on tandem wrapping the twins. It was super helpful and will hopefully make us a little more confident wearing both of the babies from the start. Josh actually won a wrap while we were there, which is really exciting. While we have a lot of carriers, I only had one woven, non-stretchy, wrap prior to this and I wasn't a huge fan of it. The one that Josh won is really beautiful and I think we will end up using it quite a bit!




Something to Look Forward to

My mom is coming to visit next week and Asher can't wait to see his Nana. Every day he asks me, "Is it Sunday? Is Nana coming today?" I know he is looking forward to some bonding time with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment